Limbs & Things
Graduate Systems & Software Engineer
Limbs & Things is a global player in the medical simulation education market with an ambitious plan for further growth in the next five years. We are currently seeking a pragmatic graduate or junior engineer with broad engineering skills to design and build integrated hardware and software solutions and user interfaces for our training products.
As a Systems & Software Engineer, you will:
- Understand product requirements and determine how they translate into integrated hardware and application features.
- Assist in feasibility studies to provide innovative solutions for product development.
- Carry out testing of prototypes for new systems and applications that include embedded hardware.
- Design creative prototypes according to specifications or for research purposes.
- Write high-quality source code to program complete applications within deadlines.
- Perform unit and integration testing (including snagging) in accordance with project schedules.
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing and document accordingly.
- Troubleshoot and assist with the debugging of applications, software, hardware, and integrated systems.
- Evaluate existing applications to reprogram, update and add new features.
- Assist with ordering of prototypes and parts from external suppliers as part of systems design and development.
- Develop technical documents and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code as part of the product record.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- Relevant degree level qualification (Computer Science, EEE. IMEE, or other technically relevant subject) with a demonstrable interest in working with commercial products with electronic and software components.
- Good working knowledge of C and Python (Ideally with GUI understanding) programming languages.
- Fundamental electronics knowledge – Fundamental ability to interpret circuit schematics.
- Use of standard electronics tools – Oscilloscope, DMM, etc.
- Hands-on practical approach.
- Microcontrollers - PIC32, ESP32 or Similar.
- Knowledge of communications protocols – UART, I2C, SPI.
- Carry out product/ device tests and delivery of test reports.
- Excellent communications skills; able to communicate with a mixed discipline team both within and external to the company.
- A keen interest in developing technical skills and knowledge.
At Limbs & Things, we offer:
- £28,000 and a performance-related bonus based on personal objectives that pays up to 5% of your salary annually.
- Study support and the chance to progress in a rapidly growing company.
- A new flexible working policy allowing employees to work from home one day a week.
- Option to work longer hours during the week and finish early on a Friday.
- A salary sacrifice pension scheme where the company matches your contribution up to 5% plus Employer NI savings - currently 15.05% of your contribution (this also applies to voluntary contributions).
- A non-contributory healthcare cash plan including access to an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
- Life insurance paying 4x your salary.
- Access to a virtual GP.
- 25 days holiday and a cycle to work scheme.
This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate or junior engineer to work in an interdisciplinary environment with a broad range of responsibilities and gain exposure to many areas of product design within an electronics and software context. If you feel you have got what it takes, please send your CV with a covering letter telling us why you consider yourself suitable for the role, to the HR Manager, Limbs & Things, Sussex Street, St Philips, Bristol BS2 0RA. Apply now to join our growing team and take the next step in your career